Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Interesting information from Joe Flood on the Jewish population of Cornwall

 

As far as I know, none of the existing family lines have any recollection of being “secretly Jewish”.   Every indication I have seen is that the family converted to Christianity some time prior to the 1500’s.  We have no way of knowing if that was a genuine conversion, or if it was politically motivated, in order to avoid possible death, retribution, or expulsion from their homes.

 

If you are interested in seeing more about the Jewish origins of the family, I have put a “placeholder person” named “Jewish (Placeholder) Vosper” on my tree at:  https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/47009625/person/24454081783/facts that contains information from various sources.

 

 

In looking over the information on this profile I came upon this page:

 

 

Note the comment, “For some time they were engaged in mining operations.”   -  I had forgotten about this, and it does correspond with Joe Flood’s comments about mining.

 

There may be additional information under Johanes Vosper, the earliest documented Vosper on our line, on my tree:  https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/47009625/person/6961584721/facts

 

Cousin Teri

1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting to read. I am related to Vospers. My great great grandmother was Alice Harriet Vosper b.1886, her father was Robert Vosper, b.1861, his father was also Robert vosper b.1837 and his father was John Vosper b.1790 (approx!)

    I have always thought we had Jewish heritage due to my grandfathers strong Jewish looks but have never been able to find anything, a cousin has traced heritage back to Cornwall so I think we must be related, distantly!

    ReplyDelete