Friday, October 28, 2016

Another ENGLISH Vosper Cousin and other news

We have a new Vosper Cousin joining our little group – Malcolm Lockhart, from Somerset, England.   I have attached an updated Cousin Chart – Malcolm’s line is located in the 5th column from the right, and his closest cousins are William Williams in Delaware (5th cousins 1x removed), and John Elliott Vosper in Australia (5th cousins, if I calculated correctly…).   He is an 8th cousin to me, according to Ancestry’s calculator.

 

In other news, Moira, John Elliott’s wife, tells me they have received the Y-DNA kit we sent out, and was scheduled to have sent it back to FTDNA last weekend.  The results of this kit are anxiously awaited, as this is one of the few male-to-male Vosper surname lines we have, and we hope the results will confirm Robert Vosper’s DNA results, which confirm the Jewish ancestry reported in various English sources.

 

Malcolm, it may be a surprise to you that we have traced our ancestry back to being Jewish – many of us who have DNA tested show small amounts of Ashkenazi heritage.  To store all our Jewish related material I have created a placeholder person on my Ancestry tree which you can access here:  http://person.ancestry.com/tree/47009625/person/24454081783/facts

 

I’ve been overwhelmed with a new DNA project I’m working on, trying to find common chr. segments in descendants of George Soule, Mayflower passenger, and that’s kept me from working on much Vosper stuff.   I have received my copy of “The Lost Jews of Cornwall”, but have only gotten as far as looking in the index for “Vosper” and “Trevosper”, to no avail.  The first chapter seems to deal with the earlier times in Cornwall, but, at a glance, does not contain any particulars for our help as genealogists.  A deeper reading is required….

 

Sure wish I had known all my English Vosper Cousins when I visited Cornwall and England a few years ago…. But, on a positive note, I hope to meet up with some of our Vosper Cousins in Florida when I visit there in December….

 

Cousin Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment