Sunday, August 27, 2017

An interesting coincidence

As I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts, I have been concentrating on my colonial American heritage for the past year.  Recently one of our newest Vosper cousins, Glenda, offered to help me with a bit of research at the New England Historical and Genealogical Society.  I had been researching Capt. Joseph Weld, who had been born in Sudbury, England, and was one of the early residents of Roxbury, Massachusetts.  Glenda found an article about Sudbury which mentioned:

 

Other records I had looked at indicated that the Weld family is of old Saxon heritage.  You may recognize the name highlighted in the article – Richard de Clare (FitzGilbert) is our 29th grandfather on our Vosper line. 

 

So, it appears that William the Conquerer took the Sudbury lands from my Saxon ancestors, the Welds, and granted them to Richard de Clare, our Vosper ancestor.   The article mentions the establishment of wool manufacturers, and my Weld ancestors were “mercers” – sellers of cloth….

 

Interesting how that came around!

 

Cousin Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment