Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Cousin Bernice did some research for us!

I'm attaching some correspondence between Cousin Bernice and I about her visit to the genealogical library in Salt Lake City.  I asked her to do a bit of research for us, if she had time, and to describe what her experience was.  You should read from the bottom up, to read in chronological order.

 

I am posting her research to my public tree, and putting together a document with links to the images I upload to make it easy for you to find and add to your trees.

 

Thanks Cousin Bernice!

 

Cousin Teri

 

From: badarby
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 11:32 PM

 

Dear Teri

 

I'm home safe and sound from my trip and still trying to sort through everything and get back into the swing of 'normal' life.

The trip was lovely, very hot weather, but after the cold in Sydney it was very welcome.

 

The library has had a number of technology updates since I was there in 2016.

Ground floor which was previously used for US research (loads of microfilm readers etc) is now a walk in centre for anyone who wants to just look for an ancestor or get started.

There a lots of volunteers to help out and even this area is open on Sunday from 1pm – 5pm.  Although the shops are shut tight on Sunday.  Loads of tourists just walking around with nothing to do!

The film scanning is powering ahead and every terminal now has a USB connection, so when you find a scanned doc you can just download to your USB key.  Of course if you don't have one, they sell them.

All very impressive.

 

I have a few Vosper docs for you, I'll send them in a couple of emails, baptisms then marriages.

I also found a book on 'History of Liskeard' and there were a couple of references to Vosper.

That scanning is rather large and I had do so this in a number of sections, so will have to have a think about how I'll send this through later.

 

So, attached are the Baptism first and I'll send the marriage next.

Kind regards

Bernice

 

 

From: Infoseeker
Sent: Tuesday, 2 July 2019 1:00 AM
To: badarby

 

Oh!  I didn't know SLC had much on Cornwall!  While you're looking up 'Vosper', try 'Trevosper' as well – They were the earliest Vospers, I think!

 

It would be great if you did a little write up about your research there for me to send out to all the Vosper Cousins.

 

Do they have photos of the original birth records from Cornwall?  Those would be fascinating to see!   I've gotten all my dob and dod and marriage information from transcripts online – the originals (or photos of them) would be great to see!   These, for instance:

 

 

What a good friend you are!

 

Cousin Teri

 

From: badarby
Sent: Monday, July 1, 2019 12:36 AM
To: 'Infoseeker

Dear Teri

 

Thank you for including me in your 'round robin' emails.  Although I don't add much to the content.

Just wanted to let you know that I am going to take a couple of weeks holiday and go to Salt Lake City to do some more research.

I plan to do some more work on my Cornwall families – clarify more on the Mehennett group connections etc.

 

I'll let you know if I find anything startling.  You never know what is on the shelves in Basement 2 of the library.

 

Kind regards

Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment