Wednesday, January 15, 2020

On a different subject, the origins of the Vosper family...

Good morning, Vosper Cousins!

 

During a few hours of insomnia early this morning I found a link to this article on my Facebook feed, and SOMETHING made me look at it:

 

Genetic analysis of male Hungarian Conquerors: European and Asian paternal lineages of the conquering Hungarian tribes

 

If you’re so inclined, you can read the entire article here:  https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12520-019-00996-0?fbclid=IwAR3DyqHQhv1n7-252oNsx8cAPjV7MkwPE1RdcvnH0pwla3zoa_-xlzLUKiw

 

My disclaimer:  I don’t even PRETEND to understand all of this article.    Not even MOST of it.

 

I think I looked at it because of the rumored origin of the Vosper family being in Silesia (Wikipedia link), which was near Hungary, sorta.

 

In any case, the article turns out to be about the DNA testing of ancient Hungarian warriors for their Y Haplogroups (Y DNA, remember, is passed from father to son).  What caught my eye was that one of the warriors tested out as J1-M267, which is what I believe Cousin Robert tested out as before he had some special SNPs ordered, which now gives him a haplogroup of:

In other words, J-Z18186 is a subgroup of J1-M267.

 

Here is the Abstract of the article:

 

One of the warriors they tested has a J1-M267 haplogroup:

 

 

I don’t understand Y DNA haplogroups well enough to understand how close the Z1828 subgroup is to the Z1818 “Cousin Robert subgroup” (If you want to try to figure it out, the phylogenetictree is here:  file:///C:/Users/Teri/Documents/Documents/Geneology/Bennett%20Tree/Vosper/j1phylogenetictree.pdf ), but I think it’s very interesting the directions Y DNA analysis is taking us in understanding the origins of the worlds peoples.  This tells me that we are getting closer to understanding the ancient origins of our Vosper family.  However, we still need another Vosper male to get his DNA Y tested at FTDNA.com to confirm Robert’s test results.    FTDNA.com has just announced a reduction in the cost, but it is nothing to sneeze at.  Anyone interested (Cousin Ken)?

 

Have a good week!

 

Cousin Teri

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment