Thursday, September 8, 2016

Our relationship to William the Conquerer

From: Info Seeker
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2016 8:20 AM

Subject: Our relationship to William the Conquerer

Hi everyone!  Hope you’ve been having a good week…

On my last email I illustrated how William the Conquerer bestowed a LOT of land on Ritchard fitzGilbert (de Clare), son of Gilbert of Brionne, our ancestors, after he conquered England in 1066.

I had read they were cousins, and I wanted to get William on my tree, since he was such an important person in history.  I finally figured out how to put him there accurately, and he is at http://person.ancestry.com/tree/47009625/person/48579253507/facts   I haven’t filled in the facts of his life, as he’s rather ancilliary, and I’m rather busy, but you can see his bio at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_the_Conqueror
Attached is a chart I’ve marked up that shows how he was related to Gilbert, our 30th great grandfather.  The solid yellow highlight is our line, the dashed is the line to William.

Here is how Ancestry shows my lineage – yours should be nearly identical, with the of times ‘removed’ varying a little depending on how many generations we all are from him:

William I "The Conquerer" King of England (1024 - 1087)
2nd cousin 31x removed
Robert I "The Magnificent" Duke of Normandy (1000 - 1035)
father of William I "The Conquerer" King of England
Richard II "the Good" Duke of Normandy (958 - 1027)
father of Robert I "The Magnificent" Duke of Normandy
Richard the Fearless Duke of Normandy (933 - 996)
father of Richard II "the Good" Duke of Normandy
Geoffrey Earl of Eu and Brione (962 - 1010)
son of Richard the Fearless Duke of Normandy
Gilbert Earl of Brione and Clare (1000 - 1040)
son of Geoffrey Earl of Eu and Brione
Gilbert Lord of Tellieres 
son of Gilbert Earl of Brione and Clare
Ralph De Telliers (1038 - 1124)
son of Gilbert Lord of Tellieres


I’ve been very busy preparing a presentation I’m giving to the North San Diego County Genealogical Society’s DNA Interest Group in a couple of weeks on the topic of “How to Use Genome Mate”, so I haven’t had a lot of time to devote to our lineage….

BUT, I hope you enjoy this little tidbit….

Cousin Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment