Thursday, September 8, 2016

Updated family tree - source - Visitations of Cornwall

From: Yvonne Morant
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:11 PM
To: Info Seeker
Subject: RE: Updated family tree

Hi Teri
With resect to your specific queries about the meanings of abbreviations in Visitations, I agree with your interpretations. In one case where I knew the actual death date, I was able to compare it to "the 21st year of some monarch's reign" and found that it resulted in the same date.
And I also agree that Ricus is Richard.
Yvonne

From: Info Seeker
Sent: Thursday, 28 January 2016 1:35 AM
To:
Subject: Updated family tree

Hello Cousins!

I have updated my  family tree on Ancestry to reflect what I THINK might be what it looks like, based on the description of the legal document I found the other day, and the Visitations of Cornwall family tree for the Giffords.  See below:

 

However, looking at it, it occurs to me that this could also be compressed, with the William Trevosper who married Jane Downe occurring earlier.  Only the legal document may help clear this up.

This is VERY preliminary, until the legal document is clears it up, and it should be understood that Visitations of Cornwell is not error-proof.

I am NOT an expert on Heraldry, and I don't know what some of the notations mean on the Heraldry page, specifically the items highlighted in yellow below.  They will need further investigation:

I think that E. III means Edward III who reigned 1327-1377
                    H. V.   means Henry the Fifth who reigned 1413-1422
                    H. VI    means Henry the Sixth who reigned 1422-1461 and 1470-1471

I wonder if 21 E III means the 21st year of the realm of Edward the III
                     2 H. V.  means 2nd year of the realm of Henry V
                    37 H. VI. Means the 37th year of the realm of Henry VI (1422-1461 and 1470-1471)????????

I believe that "2 fil." Means 2nd son, but don't hold me to it!
I think that "Ricus"  is the same as "Richard" - some kind of a weird latinizatin of the abbreviation of Richard.

Almost time to go to my bridge game… My very-sweet-if-somewhat-sarcastic big brother pointed out a typo on my last email.   No, I did NOT go to a "PAINING" party.   I went to a painTing party!  (I'll send a photo when I get a copy…. We painted really ugly birds!)


Teri


No comments:

Post a Comment