Thursday, September 8, 2016

The Vosper relationship to the great Arundell family


Sent: Friday, January 22, 2016 9:43 AM

Subject: FW: The Vosper relationship to the great Arundell family

 

Hi Vosper/Arundell Cousins!

 

Please read Bill's informative description of the Arundells in Cornwall, below.

 

I have created a new chart, adding on to the Vosper Cousins chart to show you how we are related to the Arundells, which is attached.  Interestingly, we are DOUBLE related to them, as Oliver Dinham and Mary Arundell were 1st cousins – they married and had a daughter, Judith Arundell, who married Daniel Vosper.

 

Bill wanted to know where I got the family tree connecting the Vospers to the Arundells.  It is all on my tree, which I believe you all have access to, but here is how to connect it:

 

1.       Daniel's marriage to Judith:

 

 

2.       Judith's baptism record, showing her to be the daughter of Oliver:

 

3.       Mary Arundell's marriage to Oliver Dynham as documented on the hierarchy on page 12 of  Visitations to Cornwall:

 

From" Visitations to Cornwall", which was published in 1886 (from memory) for the King, you can trace back the lineage to the 1200's, as I have it on my tree.

 

For the lineage of Grace Arundell, Visitations of Cornwall also shows:

 

 

While I've not spent a great deal of time on this leg of the tree, I think the Arundell family is pretty well documented.  I have found errors on the VOSPER pages, so there may be errors on the Arundell pages as well, and I'm open to any corrections or additions.  I'd just like to get it right!   Bill, do you know of any good books on the Arundell  family?

 

Cousin Teri

 

 

From: William Matthews
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2016 8:20 AM
To: Teri
Subject: Re: The Vosper relationship to the great Arundell family

 

Hi Teri,

 

This is an interesting input. Ever the detective Teri you might have something here. Having grown up in Saltash I know Landulph very well, it is only 4 miles from where I lived. It is an ancient parish to be sure that borders the River Tamar and a few of my ancestors are buried in the churchyard having lived at Cargreen, a village within the parish. To this day the village has no street lighting, the residents like it without! These ancestors of mine are not in the blood line of the Vospers as they were more associated with my paternal grandmother whilst my link to the Vospers is through my paternal grandfather. But it is interesting even so.

 

The mention of the Arundells and their association with Caerhays is also interesting. This castle is just a few hundred metres from the beach on the south coast of Cornwall halfway between Fowey and Falmouth. It is more a manor than a fully ramparted castle. A book that I have states ' Caerhays is a striking mock castle restored in 1802 by John Nash in the Gothic style. Privately owned but visible from the road that passes between it and the beach. Not open to visitors'.  It is still occupied to this day, in fact a relative of my best man when Val and I married 52 years ago was the head gardener at Caerhays before he retired. The spelling of Caerhays is somewhat different, but I am sure it is the same place. Caerhays is close to the area that Daphne du Maurier used in her novel Frenchman's Creek! Where did you get the family tree associating the Arundells to the Vospers Teri? Is this personal research?

 

In other messages you have questioned whether there has been any evidence of cystic fibrosis in our family. Whilst we have not been tested there is no record of any in our branch of the family that has contracted this terrible illness.

 

We all have ancestors going back into oblivion but getting hard evidence of links certainly back to the 1200's is fantastic.If that can really be established then I am truly amazed. It may be possible for the nobility of UK for this to occur but for the average person that it is astounding. It reminds me of the story about our royalty here in the UK. The grabbing of power in the distant past, even between individuals close to the crown, means that the true line of descent to the Head of State can be questionable. One of the national newspapers here in the UK once traced the lineage of our Royal family and it was suggested that if the 'correct' person were now to be on the throne of England then it would be a sheep farmer in Australia!!  Just think that Elizabeth 1 did not marry or have children. Mary, Queen of Scotland was in fact also Queen of France, but not allowed to return there by Elizabeth 1 who kept her in captivity in various castles until she was beheaded at Elizabeth's request.. In fact Mary had as much right to the English throne as Elizabeth which possibly explains why Elizabeth eventually had Mary beheaded! The book 'Mary Queen of Scots' by Antonia Frase is excellent on this subject.

 

Again I have drifted on for far too long and I will close.

 

Best wishes

 

Bill

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment