Friday, September 23, 2016

Grenville Family Source

From: Yvonne Morant
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 12:43 AM
To: Info Seeker
Subject: Grenville Family Source

 

Hi Teri

I just want to alert you to a source I have been using for our Grenville ancestors – I am not sure if you are aware of it or not. Forgive me if it was actually you who told me about it – I can't remember where it came from. Anyway, there is a whole book on the Granville Family which I have worked my way through with respect to the Grenvilles who feature in our tree. On occasion, I found conflicts with Cornwall Visitations and with another source, Wales Annals and Antiquities Vols 1-2, but I decided to go with the Granville book because it is researched in detail by a Roger Grenville, himself a descendant of the family, who published it in 1895. It seems authoritative and quotes historic legal documents. Details are given below.

 

In addition, I came across a report on the internet prepared in recent years by a research group called Nimrod Research about the Grenvilles' links with Bideford, Devon. (I suspect it was commissioned by the Town Council to prove that Bideford is the birthplace of the famous Sir Richard Grenville who founded a colony in Virginia and did other notable things in the time of Elizabeth I). They set out the tree based on the Grenville book which reinforces my belief that it's a pretty sound source to use.

 

I have entered the data from these two sources into my tree.

 

·        Grenville Research by David and Jenny Carter http://www.nimrodresearch.co.uk/grenville/pdf/Grenville%20research.pdf

·        The History of the Granville Family : traced back to Rollo 1st duke of Normandy with pedigrees etc https://archive.org/details/historyofgranvil00gran

 

 

By the way, I have just sent off my DNA sample so will let you know when I get results.

Also, after a lengthy wait, I now have permission from Google Books to access the other book about the Giffords that you alerted us to. I will let you know when I have worked through it.

 

Best regards

Yvonne

 

No comments:

Post a Comment