Saturday, September 10, 2016

Re: DNA comparison with cousin Lesley

Wow Teri

You have been busy!  I think it will take me a while to get my head around everything - I did watch the Youtube video on GEDmatch but will need to go back to it really to get my head around it!!

I'd be interested to find someone on my 'other' Vosper line - i.e. going down through Thomas Vosper and Elizabeth Carkeeke.  As we can trace back both lines to Joseph Vosper & Mary Frane, you might think we would have a double dose of DNA somewhere along the line!!!  But maybe it doesn't work like that!!!
Regards

Lesley

On 10-Sep-16 4:33 PM, Info Seeker wrote:

Hi Lesley,

 

Thanks for downloading to GEDMatch!

 

The first step  of my analysis is to do 1:1 compares with people who are of Vosper heritage:

 

Me:

 

My brother:

 

My other brother:

 

My first cousin, "F.V.", FL Vosper:

Interesting.  My mother and her father were siblings, but we match you on different chromosomes!

 

My second cousin, the donor of the Y DNA:

 

James Vosper, on our Cousins Chart:

 

No match to Robert's son, Jon:

 

No match to Sheila:

 

If you turn on the graphics bar in the 1 to 1 comparisons you  get a display like this (this is Lesley and Teri):

Red segments = no match, Yellow segments = ½ match, Green segments = full match.   The blue bar at the bottom indicates that the match meets the limits you've set on the 1 to 1 kit entry form, in this case 500 snps and 2 cM.

 

Next I used the tool, "people who match one or both of two kits" for you and me:   OOPS, your kit isn't done yet.

 

Next I used the tool, "multiple kit analysis" with all the people you matched, above, and looked at the 2-D chromosome browser:

This tool lists a graphical representation of the matches to the first person in the list (which was me in this example).  Here is a sample of chromosome 2:

 

Because the top two are my brothers, they have a substantial overlap with me.  The color is an indication of how many cM the match is.  What I am looking for with this tool is an area where there is a consistent overlap on a particular segment (think of a vertical arrangement of horizontal bars).

 

As we saw on the one to one comparisons, different cousin family groups match on different chromosomes.  This is due to recombination.

 

Chromosome 3 perhaps give the best illustration of that concept, though you don't have a match on it:

You can see there are two distinct groupings, shared among 4 people (remember, this is showing overlaps to A891368 (me), not shown.

 

When I change the order of the kits, and put you first, we can see this, as well:

So you, Lesley, are the 4th person, who match my brothers and I on Chr. 2.

 

I use a program called GenomeMate Pro to track my DNA information, and this is an overview of your matches to my kits:

 

With GenomeMate you can MAP your DNA segments by ancestor.  This is my overall segment map:

 

I name my segments with the male surname and female surname.  So, for our match, our MRCA (most recent common ancestors) are Robert Vosper and Mary Bawden = Vosper Bawden.

If I click on my segment match for the Vosper Bawden segments, I get:

 

My VosperIsbell map looks like this:

 

 

Pretty cool, eh?   Wish we could get some more of our English and Australian Vosper cousins to DNA test….

 

This comes in very handy when you are trying to figure out how you are related to someone.  Ie, if you match them on a particular chromosome at the same spot, you are likely to be related through the same ancestor.

 

So, on chr. 2 for you, these are all the people who overlap you:

 

Of course you have two segments of DNA on any given segment, one maternal and one paternal.  I have identified my Paternal segment from 150.7 to 168.6 as being from Samuel Bennett, and now I know that my MATERNAL segment comes down from Robert Vosper and Mary Bawden.    Everyone that overlaps me on these segments also share either the Bennett or Vosper lines.

 

Sure enough, when I run this kit against your DNA, there is no match:

 

But when I run it against my Bennett cousin (who I had the pleasure of meeting last month!), I get a good match, so I now know this is a paternal cousin:

 

Going down the line I found mostly paternal matches, except:

This is a very small match, so it COULD be just IBS (Identical by State = by chance) rather than IBD (Identical by Descent), so I'll check him against some other cousins:  When I check my DNA records for him, I find he matches my paternal cousin, shown as "Haley" below, so this must be a Paternal match, and the match with you is IBS.

 

 

Just to be sure, I ran him against FL Vosper, and got a 4.? cM match.  Then I ran him against James Vosper and got:

Again, a LOT of small matches, with a total of 21.9 cM.  This may be indicative that this is a distant Vosper connetion, perhaps related to the Canadian Vospers.  So, maybe your match to him isn't IBS after all.  He is on Ancestry, but I haven't found his tree.

 

So, hopefully you get the idea….

 

Once your kit is done processing, we can run some more tests and do some more analysis.

 

I know this is a lot to absorb all at once, but you can see from this how much more powerful GEDMatch is than Ancestry.  It's nice that Ancestry gives you the trees, but GEDMatch gives you a whole new dimension of power, especially when you combine it with GENOMEMATE Pro. 

 

 

Cousin Teri


No comments:

Post a Comment